3 Tips That (Finally) Cleared My Skin

I battled with adult acne as soon as I turned 23. Why did it decide to show up then instead of my teenage years? To this day, I still don’t know. What I did figure out (after months of experimenting) is that my acne was triggered by things I never would have guessed, and cleared up fairly quickly after I began to take the right steps. Here are the 3Ā uncommon things I did to clear my skin.

1. Moisturize! I had no idea that acne could be caused by dry skin. I was battling it the worst in the middle of winter, and when I became serious about using a good moisturizer morning and night, my skin had an easier time clearing up.
  2. Hair Styling Products. I used LOTS of them because I was going to an office every day, and using a lot of hairspray. The alcohol in hairspray is very drying, and it gets on the face if you’re not really careful about where you spray. Using less spray, or being more mindful of how you spray your hair will minimize the risk of accidentally coating your face in hair products.
  3. Minimize Your Routine.Ā When I started touching my skin less, my skin immediately responded. This also meant not putting so many products on it in an attempt to kill off all bacteria. I thought the more acne products, the better. But what I’ve found is that when I simplify my face routine, I actually have much better results. Giving my skin a bit of a break from all the chemicals is really what I needed, and it also costs less!

What is your best tip for keeping your skin clear?

Emily Olson

Wife, Mom, Christ Follower. I am passionate about making YouTube videos and writing. "You can edit out all of the imperfect things, but you don't have to."

1. Suzie Burgos says:

Thanx for sharing; whats a really good moisturizer to use?

2. Sarah Ball says:

I have struggled with acne for years I tried EVERYTHING it was really discouraging because nothing worked but one day I saw an article on Pinterest about food allergies and intolerants it said how gluten is one of the intolerants that could be making my skin bad even though I didn’t have other signs of gluten allergies so I have been gluten free for 3 months now and my skin is clearer than ever!! šŸ‘šŸ˜Š

• Emily Olson says:

WOW that is so cool!! I can’t believe you had no other symptoms! Thank you for sharing!!

• Lauren Howie says:

I just recently noticed that when I stop consuming milk and milk products that I have clearer skin. I am planning on taking an allergy test. Anyone struggling with acne should seriously consider diet as a factor.

• Sarah says:

Yes! I hardly consume dairy because I noticed when I was eating a lot of yogurt I had really bad acne. Diet definitely had everything to do with your skin!! šŸ˜« Which is a major bummer I just want to enjoy delicious food!!

3. Memoona says:

Drinking lots of water helps cure acne.It is an amazing source to keep skin hydrated as well.Try to eat less saulty and oily things this ll also prevent acne.These tips work for me hopefully ll help u too šŸ™‚