3 Things to Avoid in Your Morning Routine

It’s easy to rush through the motions when it comes to your morning routine. Mostly because we are all pressed for time, and preoccupied with thinking about all the tasks we have to accomplish on any given day, and too tired to think about adding more to our daily grind. I’m a believer that simplifying your morning routine rather than adding to it is more productive, sustainable AND will help foster more happiness in the long run.

1. Avoid a BIG breakfast.
    Right when your body wakes up, your metabolism is the most sluggish. If you eat a large breakfast, your body becomes lethargic when trying to digest so much at once. So aim for a balanced yet lighter breakfast, unless you plan to workout right away when you wake up and are looking to fuel up.
  2. In between cups of coffee, drink warm lemon water or decaf tea.
    Another thing that backfires is having too much caffeine right away. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 2 cups of coffee, but pacing yourself is a smart way to avoid the crash that happens later when you have TOO much caffeine at once.
  3. Avoid “the scrolls” on social media.
    We all get “the scrolls” sometimes. You open your Facebook app in an attempt to get out of bed, and you end up scrolling down the timeline for 15 minutes, and while you’re at it, why not Instagram next? Not only have I found it really puts my mind in an unsettling place right away in the morning, but it also doesn’t give me time to experience the quiet peace that mornings offer. Instead, try writing down three things you are thankful for or three things you want to accomplish for the day. Turning to paper instead of your phone can help keep you present while your body and mind wake up.

What helps you wake up the in the A.M.? Do you have any routines you’ve set in place to help your day get going? OR Are there things you try to avoid in the morning?! Let us know=)

Emily Olson

Wife, Mom, Christ Follower. I am passionate about making YouTube videos and writing.

“You can edit out all of the imperfect things, but you don’t have to.”

1. Celia Brooke says:

So glad this series is a thing! I’ve really been working on building the right morning routine and this gave me some awesome tips! Thanks Nikki 💙

2. Tanya says:

I always try and do some stretches every morning. Living with arthritis, stiff joints and muscles are an everyday occurrence; stretching helps get my body moving again. I’m definitely guilty of the scrolls. It’s a habit that’s so hard to break! lol

3. Erika Andersen says:

Thank you for your advice, I’m gonna write them down and hang them up on my fridge, so I can read them and remember myself of that every single morning! haha, get it dialed into my brain forever lol :b but really, this are great advice, and so simple too 🙂

4. Theresa says:

Hello! I would just like to inform you that many times I have tried signing up for the gang magazine,which it appears that I do yet I never recieve any emails or content. I have checked my spam and junk as well yet it never appears. Is there any way that I could fix this problem?

5. Vanessa says:

My workday starts a little later in the morning so I usually try and get 30 minutes of housecleaning or laundry done after I eat breakfast and before I get ready for work. I love the idea of writing down 3 things to accomplish first thing in the morning- I will definitely try incorporating that into my morning !

6. Lyndsay says:

I am definitely a scroller lol I need to stop. I think sometimes in life we can get so caught up in the things that are happening around us, that we don’t recognize our own well being. I think it is good to take the time in the morning to relax and self reflect by journaling, listening to a podcast or simply just sitting in silence. Great Post !!! So happy that it is #howtobehappyjanuary

• Emily Olson says:

I agree with you. I’m especially into podcasts, too! I think they’re such a good way to stay mindful of what we’re consuming rather than just leaving it up to social media. You know? Love this comment!

7. Lizzy Higgins says:

I’m as far from being a morning person as is humanly possible so my aim is to manage to drag myself out of bed in the morning (looool, i sound so lazy) in order to have so ‘me ‘ time in the morning, i believe it will really help. Just ten minutes to sit and reflect, instead of going on social media, like you said, 2 minutes of Facebook becomes 20 minutes on every social media platform far too easily haha! Well done for the great post Emily!

• Emily Olson says:

You’re welcome, Lizzy! I’m so glad you could connect with the post! I am totally guilty of spending too much time on social media! I’m glad we could relate!! 🙂

8. Trena says:

I try to do a quick 20 minute workout… Nothing difficult, yoga, an arm work out or a toning routine and it really seems to make my day more productive!

9. Shelby says:

I have a bad habit of never eating breakfast as well as the scrolls. One thing that does help me in the morning is showering right away. There’s just something about taking a shower as soon as my alarm goes off and I walk into the bathroom that really wakes me up every morning and sets me up for the rest of the day.

10. Jenn says:

ugh, the struggle is real! I always end up scrolling on my phone for too long….starting tomorrow morning, though, I’m allowing myself a few minutes and then jumping into a workout first thing to hopefully set better habits 🙂

11. Marissa says:

This is a sincere struggle which I think a lot of us struggle with in modern day. I think any reading material like a book would bring positive to any morning.

12. Nica Gerona says:

Ooh the scrolling hit right through me. But you are definitely right there!

13. Megan says:

Awesome advice 🙂 what do you suggest people write down for three things? I realize they could be anything at all but i feel like my go to ones would to be 1.workout 2.not get upset by other people thoughts (more like a long term goal) and i can’t think of a third haha any suggestions??

• Emily Olson says:

Those are great! I love to tell myself to “expect great things to happen”, too! I think expecting to have a good day is important in boosting your mood, personally 🙂 You have awesome goals though!

14. Glendy says:

So love this, I am so guilty of scrolling down my phone as soon as I wake up and yes I find myself less productive and not so motivated for the day. And will definitely apply the writing three things down I’m
    Thankful for 🙂

15. Maricel says:

I thought this was great! For my morning routine I open up my “Breathe” app, it’s a meditating app and I check in before I start my day and before I start thinking about what I have to do. It helps me become less anxious of the things that have to be done. I make my bed and drink water as soon as possible. I also try to make breakfast if I have time and usually something healthy. If not, I make something the night before and take it to work with me 🙂

16. Katelyn says:

I find this blog very true! Good job Emily!
    I believe that in our society electronics are huge and everybody needs to have one or to be on it 24/7, when really you could be playing outside or hanging out with your friends.
    Waking up in the morning is the hardest for me. Because all I want to do is stay in my nice, soft bed and relax and not have to go to school, when in reality, you cant.
    Some people cherish their mornings and to really appreciate every day that they wake up to. But sometimes for me I just don’t think about that.
    In the morning I stress about a lot of things:
    -What am I going to eat for breakfast?
    -Did I finish all of my homework?
    -What am I going to wear?
    We all stress the little things in life that really effect our day.
    I hope you read this Emily because I think you are a great blogger and really inspire me and modivate me to really be true to myself and to be who I am! 🙂

• Emily Olson says:

Katelyn,

Thank you for your comment! It was so thoughtful, honest, and sweet. I’m so glad you’re here! Those are totally things I used to think about too. I stress about the “little” things ALL the time and this comment was a great reminder for me to keep that in check! Thank you for everything you’ve said. It means a lot to me to hear from you!

17. Danette Hole says:

Lol, the scrolls! I definitely have those most mornings and I agree completely with you that they help you start your day off on the wrong foot. College starts back up for me tomorrow so I stopped by the grocery store after church today and picked up a light healthy lunch (a fruit smoothy, yogurt and string cheese) so that I wouldn’t, in a rush, grab the closest bag of chips on the way out the door tomorrow morning. Also I have a christian playlist set up on Spotify to click on when my alarm goes off in hopes to to start off my day with joy and encouragement! Loved this post and will definitely go subscribe to your youtube channel now.

• Emily Olson says:

Thank you for reaching out, Danette! It means a lot to me that you’re connecting with it so much. I think those are AWESOME ways to stay on track! I have a christian playlist too that I listen to constantly! It really helps me keep perspective! Your breakfast sounds amazing, by the way!

18. Rachel says:

One of my New Years resolutions this year was to actually spend more time with myself rather than “scrolling” in the mornings, so this really helped me to continue this. I think that the morning really sets us up for what type of day the will be like. So I have been trying to just sit with myself with soem breakfast and tea, and just think about what I want to accomplish in my day, or maybe read a book or sometimes a motivational blog post like this one =)