#HowToBeHappyJanuary IS HERE!=)

HEY GUYS!

Weelllll hello!!! and welcome not only to 2016 but also to #HOWTOBEHAPPYJANUARY! WOO HOO!!! Can I get a silent round of applause from you at your computer or on your phone please??? thanks=) lol

Well today I am really excited because this marks my 4th #howtobehappyjanuary , and what makes this years so special, is that I have decided after a very long time to re-launch this blog specifically with the intentions of going along with this theme! Every year I say “I want this to be a conversation! I don’t want this to be JUST about me. Throw your thoughts and two cents in!”… and every year people do.. and its amazing. That being said, in reality every year, I’m the only one LEADING the conversation… and I’ve always wanted to add more voices to it… more people spreading light and sharing their thoughts and wisdom on the topic. SO, that’s what The Gang is. The Gang is going to be a place where every month we focus on talking about a specific topic, so that for a month we can see the world through the lens of that topic… and hopefully, after 12 months of 12 different topics we will able to close 2016 a little closer to the people we want to be, the goals we want to achieve, and really feeling like we made progress. After all, growth and progress is something that I think an essential part of happiness. =)

Speaking of happiness…. back to #howtobehappyjanuary. Here’s whats going to happen this month… Almost every single day we will be posting on The Gang. We’re going to broach the topic of happiness from many different angles…food, beauty, lifestyle, advice… all through the lens of happiness. Also, we’re going to have many different perspectives talking on the subject… which in my opinion is a huge part of what is going to make this SO awesome! Have you ever heard the saying “eat the fish and spit out the bones”? A few years ago, a life/acting coach told me that phrase in regards to learning from others….(you’ve heard me say this before if you’ve been my online friend for a while=)…. you will NEVER agree with everything someone says.. but if you chose to ignore everyone you disagree with, you will slowly shut everyone out and stop growing. It is important to see things from other people’s perspectives… to be challenged on your thinking… to think outside of the box. Its scary… but important… & I think that getting lots of perspectives does that to you… So this month I’m going to challenge you. Read everyone’s posts. There is so much wisdom that is going to be shared this month (believe me I know… I read everyone’s stuff lol) and I don’t want you to miss a thing. I think that all the perspectives put together completely round out the topic of happiness and really make for a holistic conversation. (I also happen to love and cherish a lot of the people who will be sharing this month=)

ALSO, please join the conversation! Your opinion is valuable and definitely one of a kind! You may have something to share that can really help someone! So if you want to speak up, or a leave a prayer request, or share a differing opinion or experience… please do=)  In the comments here on the blog, on social media (using the hashtag!;) and on my youtube videos! Because yessss as usual, I will be doing #howtobehappyjanuary on my YouTube channel as well! I’m uploading my first video in the series tomorrow and its about dealing with anxiety. I’m going to share my anxiety story and also give 5 life hacks for dealing with anxiety. (how many times can I use the word anxiety? Its giving me anxiety… LOL but not lol)

(Side note,  back when The Gang was live a few months ago, I wrote a post on the topic of anxiety… so if you want to read that you can click here)
On another note… you may be wondering why I called the site The Gang. Well let me tell you:

• There will be a lot of people sharing… thus…this is our gang. lol
  • The “cause” of the site.. the “fight” we fight is going to be human trafficking. We’re going to be a good gang! As the months progress I’m going to build in ways for us to all get involved in fighting the atrocity that is modern-day slavery. It’s so hard to believe that people are sold into slavery nowadays…?! But its more prevalent than ever=( In the hopefully near future we’re going to do fundraisers and events and products all around the goal of fighting human trafficking together! So stay tuned gang… I’m excited and I believe in us!
 On a final totally personal note…. If you follow me on social media, then you know that a couple of months ago I recorded a cover of “Oceans” by Hillsong United ….and I am releasing it at the end of this month! AH! I am so excited for you guys to see it because so many people came together to make it happen! I seriously can’t wait.

So ya, that’s about it everyone! Welcome to #howtobehappyjanuary , get involved, leave comments, read everyone’s posts, watch my videos starting tomorrow (lol)  …..and I leave you with this:

“The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open….”
I LOVE YOU GUYS
-Nikki
♡♡♡
Nikki Phillippi

Editor-In-Chief

1. Angie zanko says:

So glad it’s back!!!

2. Katherine says:

I’m very excited for this project. I love when you say “eat the fish and spit the bones” out. It’s so true and I want to start hearing others opinion this year. I look toward to a growing year.

• thanks Katherine! I’m excited too! And yea… when she said that quote I was like “omg. thats brilliant and makes hearing other peoples opinions SO much less terrifying!!”=) Thanks for commenting girl and saying hi! I’m excited fro 2016=)

3. Isabel Serrano says:

So being my first How to be Happy January and all, I am just really excited. Lately I’ve been finding ways to be inspired and I’m in a get-my-life-together mode, so I’m excited to grow this year and so happy for this blog to help me along the way. THANK YOU XOXO.

• awww well welcome to the gang!;) its gunna be a good month, and I hope that you learn a lot this month and feel pumped for the year! everyones posts that are coming out are so good! I cant wait for you guys to read them!=D

4. Abbi says:

Yay! This is already making me so happy!! I have followed your YouTube channel for years and How To Be Happy January is always my favorite part! You have inspired me so much, I have even started writing my own blog! Thanks for everything you do, I am looking forward to this year and continuing to grow!!

• awww haha thanks abbi! that makes me so happy that you like howtobehappyjanuary so much! i think this month is going to be the best yet and i cant wait for future months now that the blog is live! its gunna be a good year! I’m so excited! also, I’m glad you’re blogging! go girl go!!!=D heres to 2016! XOXO

5. Jolanda says:

I’m feeling really motivated after reading this. Thanx Nikki. I’m gonna move into my own this month and I’m really excited about it. I’ve got lots of goals for 2016.

• oh that makes me so happy! I’m glad you’re feeling pumped because its gunna be a good year! an this month is gunna be awesome! I’m excited to really focus and learn! i already read everyones posts but I’m definitely going to be re-reading them along with everyone else! i cant wait!=D ALSO, i know you’re going to achieve your goals this year girl!!! YOU GO!

6. Alexis Sonnier says:

Awesome!! So glad to have this back! Truly is some great reads!

7. Nicole says:

Hey nikki!I just wanna say that this is really inspiring and you are such an inspirational person❤️I can’t wait for the rest of this project!💘

8. Cate Dimmitt says:

I am so excited for this year! I am going to chase my dreams like never before. The past three months of 2015 were EPIC and I want to keep my momentum going. If you are looking for any writers for The Gang, please let me know! 🙂

• ah! thats crazy because my last 3 months were epic too! haha and getting momentum is that hardest part! keep that momentum going girl! you got this! also, people are always welcome to send us examples of articles/blog posts=) just tweet them to us or share it on our FB page… I’m always on the lookout for new writers=) XOXO

9. Jill says:

I am so excited! Have loved you for years and you are such an incredible role model. Excited to jump on my goals for the year and strive to be a happier and more loving person.

• YAY! A- thank you so much=) while i promise I’m definitely a better role model online than IRL, ill still take that! hahaha also, yes! this is gunna be a good year=) i know it!

10. Jessica says:

I am very excited for this. I was also think topic for how to be happy going into more physical spiritually mentally. Might I add topic of healing. We all experience loss or pain but focusing being happy and healing I think would be interesting topic. Just an idea that I throw out there. Excited this my third year following your happy to be happy January. I am so ready 2016!

• thats interesting because along the line of healing, I feel like forgiveness goes hand in hand… I think that a huge part of being happy is forgiving and healing from past pains… i think you’ve just given me my next idea for my post next week!=) also, YAY to 2016! here we goooo!

11. Duc-Anh says:

I’m so excited about the video about anxiety ❤️ And I think this will really help me sharing my opinion IRL more often, too 👍🏼 I can’t wait to hear other’s opinions. At the end of the day life is about progress and growth and I will definitely join the conversations ! ❤️

• aww thats so cool and a really good point that by getting involved online and speaking up it could help you speak up IRL too! i didn’t even think of that but thats totally true! I’m so excited for this month girl and i look forward to hearing from you!=)

12. Laura says:

I’ve really enjoyed previous how to be happy January’s. You’ve inspired me to write about my own journey to happiness. I dug through all of my favourite quotes and flicked back through my gratitude journal. Quotes are always a big motivator for me so I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s favourites this year.

• dude- i love hearing peoples quotes too! its like a fast dose of feel good! haha its such a quick, bite size way to feel motivated again! also, thank you=) I’m glad you’ve liked previous howtobehappyjanuarys! i love doing the series and i think this year is going to be the best one yet because of The Gang!=)

13. LipsyCamille says:

Aaaaah!!! I’m so glad to read you again!! And omg, I can’t wait for the release of your cover, this is too exciting!!! You’re such a source of inspiration to me, Nikki! And I wish a wonderful, magical and very happy 2016!

• ah! yay! i’m so excited as well! and omg I’ve been counting down to the release of the cover! i seriously cant wait and i think everyones gunna love it! so many people were involved and it is seriously stunning…. I’m so excited! also…2016 is gunna be awesome!!! =D

14. Heather Drury says:

So excited!!! I’ve been looking forward to How to be Happy January for weeks!!! I absolutely love hearing/seeing what people do to make life happier and ways they get motivated! It makes you feel a little less lonely when you’re facing issues with it!
    Love your channel Nikki!!! Looking forward to 2016!!!!

• yay! I’ve been excited for a while too! and thats totally why i do it! in hopes of helping people feel less alone! so that makes me really happy to hear=) i love you girl and heres to 2016! YAY!

15. Erika Andersen says:

I’m so incredibly excited for this year! My goal is to become a much happier person, and love myself a whole lot more! I just ordered 3 books, recommended by the lovely marissa lace, on happiness and soul searching! I believe that what you two have to give, will combined change my whole world!
    I’ve been watching How To Be Happy January since the start, and I believe nonetheless that it will be fantastic again this year, and besides that I’m sooooooo excited that TheGangMagazine is up and running again!
    I’m never the person to really comment a lot on videos, but I’ll do my best to be a part of the discussion this year.
    Thank you for being you, you’re amazing and I can’t wait to see what 2016 will bring, especially when the two people I look to for inspiration and life advise are doing AMAZING things this year!
    #soexcited
    Lots of love from Erika!

• awww erika that was such a cool comment! what books did Marissa recommend that you’re reading? I too love me some marissa lace;) lol also, yay! I’m so glad you’ve been following from the begining! I honestly think this year is going to be the best year yet because of everyone on The Gang! I am so excited my blog is back up and running and I hope you enjoy it!=) 2016 is gunna be great for you… i can feel it through the computer screen=) haha love you girl!

• Erika Andersen says:

aww thank you so much Nikki, and one can only hope (for the last part)! She recommended me 4 books, but I could only afford three of them, I bought “you are a badass” by Jen Sincero, “instant happy journal” by Karen Salmansohn and “adventures for your soul” by Shannon Kaiser 😀

• Erika Andersen says:

I’m so excited to get them and read them, I’m tired of being depressed and being a bully to the person I see in the mirror, so I really hope I can change my mindset this year!! and I’m actually watching your first #HTBHJ video atm, and I’m loving it! <3<3

16. Alexandra says:

I can’t wait for your video on anxiety! I struggle with that too and it’s really hard sometimes. Thank you for starting this movement! It’s great to be a part of The Gang 🙂

• good! I’m excited to post the video tomorrow! Im just wrapping it up and i cant wait to share! I definitely talked a lot in the video, but hopefully you guys find it helpful! haha Its always hard for me to not talk forever about this kind of stuff! anyways, heres to howtobehappyjanuary and i hope you have a great friday night!!=)

17. Mackenzie Martin says:

Yes! I am so excited for your new video! You are such an inspiration Nikki and God has blessed you in so many ways. You are so talented and I look up to you.

• aww yay! thanks Mackenzie! You’re so sweet=) and I really appreciate that…also, Im super excited for tomorrows video as well! its super long because i always find myself not ale to stop blabbering about this kind of stuff.. but I hope you guys like it!=)

18. Beth says:

#howtobehappyjanuary has always been my favourite, it really helps me put every year. I often struggle with anxiety and always want to make others happy, but this series always reminds me that I should be making myself happy first and foremost. Can’t wait for the first video!x

• awww yay! I’m so happy that you like this series! I honestly cant believe its my 4th year doing this! I always look forward to this series because I feel like I learn so much about myself as well! Its such a cool conversation=) Thanks beth for saying hi and happy new years! YAY!

19. Elenaa says:

HI Nikki! I’ve been following you on youtube for a while now but this will be my first #howtobehappyjanuary and I’m super excited. The past couple of months have been both exciting and terrifing as I moved to another country, started university, started working. I discovered so much about myself and I’m still trying to figure out much more about me and life in general and finding out about this blog and this project makes me excited and eager to read new stories and grow along with “the gang”. Can’t wait to start sharing opinions! xx

• Hey Elena!
      A- I cant believe how many major life changes you’ve experienced in the last few months! Thats crazy! totally exciting and terrifying! lol B- YAY! I’m excited for you to join us for the month! I really hope this month can be fun and helpful to you=) WELCOME TO THE GANG 😈 LOL XOXO

20. Zoe says:

Hi Nikki! Love you, Dan, Zoe and Boswer So much! I’m so proud of you and your accomplishments…I’m also so exited that you get to move to your new dream house. I was the one who wanted you to come to Vermont! Hehe I’m so pumped to be watching you for over three years now!? Wow wow 😱☺️☺️ Would you follow me on the insta? Hahehehe you follow me on Twitter:)

• thank you so much girl! I really appreciate it=) I am soooo excited for the move in February!!!=D AH!

• Ana Jocelyn says:

So Nikki are you moving to vermont or staying in CA I’m creeping on this convo lol and I saw your post about the lovely neighborhood you are moving to.. Just wondering I’m on the east coast lol

21. Phoebe says:

I’m so happy that The Gang is back! I can’t wait for all the great things in store & to learn new things for all the wonderful contributors & commenters 💛

22. Alexis Garden says:

Dang! When you said this is your 4th HTBHJ, all I could think was, “Dang I’ve beem watching you for over 4 years then!” haha. I’m excited to see what lessons I can learn from your gang this year!

23. Caroline says:

I am so glad #howtobehappyjanuary is back!! I watch these videos all year long when I need a boost of happiness and self confidence. I can’t wait to see the new things that are waiting for us this year!!

24. Nica Gerona says:

I’m a newbie in following your account in all forms of social media, this is my first #howtobehappyJanuary. Keep ’em coming Nikki! Xoxoxo. Btw listed you on my December or November Favorites on my blog nicacanwrite.wordpress.com

25. Rebecca says:

I am so excited for this. To hear everyone’s perspectives and opinions and to have some good conversation.

26. Sarah-Beth says:

Nikki!!! I’m so excited for another year of How To Be Happy January, I look forward to this series every single year! And throughout the year I binge watch old How To Be Happy January videos. I just can`t help it you`re seriously my go to advice lady, and I could listen to you talk all day I swear!

I am even more excited, however, that The Gang is back up! It’s seriously so inspiring and interesting to hear so many different perspectives and experiences all compiled to one blog. I can’t wait to see what this year brings you and The Gang, Nikki!

xo
    Sarah-Beth

27. Lloyd says:

Your consistent desire and efforts to make a difference in fighting human trafficking is remarkable. Hope I can help. I just read the great November articles, and am looking forward to your re-launch.

28. Tanya says:

I’m so excited for 2016! Last year was a difficult one, personally and mentally. I’m wiping the slate clean and looking forward to being positive and making things happen in 2016. I can’t wait to read all the #HowToBeHappyJanuary posts and apply them to this year. Very excited to see what is coming this year with The Gang Magazine as well.

29. Katie Gutowski says:

I’m so excited for this!! I really want to take 2016 into my own hands and I know this will help me do it!

30. Gabby says:

Nikki!

I am so glad you relaunched this! I’ve struggled with my faith, my body image, and just the chaos of life. But reading yours and so many others testimonials really help me being the truest and happiest version of me! Thankyou for being a voice and for being so human and relateable. It’s hard to find role models like that nowadays!

31. Gabby says:

Hi Nikki!

You are such a role model. I really am inspired by your heart and your ability to really relate to others. I started watching your howtobehappyjanuary vids two years ago, when I first started struggling with finding who I was. I’ve struggled with an eating disorder, regaining my faith, and now I am in college. With that being said, thank you for being the voice that I needed to hear when I needed hope and laughter, and guidance!

32. Savvy says:

Hey Nikki! Just wanted to say that I’m so thankful to have someone like you out there who is willing to take time out of thier day to help others like me who have anxiety issues. This is my first #howtobehappyjanuary and I’m so excited to be participating!! God bless you and all the people participating in this and contributing. I have a prayer request that I’d like to share. Soon I have tryouts for my school basketball team and its just really stressing me out. I’m not sure if I’m gonna make the team, and it’s been giving me really bad anxiety. I have asthma as well, so when I have an anxiety attack I also have an asthma attack and sometimes start shaking. Just keep me in your prayers and if you have any kind words or thoughts that would be grate! Thank you again for this site ❤️❤️❤️👊🏽

33. Jasmyn says:

Hey Nikki! You’re a huge inspiration to me and I’m so excited to start off the new year with my first #HowToBeHappyJanuary!! I absolutely love the idea of having a conversation and reading many unique opinions!! I am definitely looking forward to a year of growth and progression towards happiness, thanks for being such an inspiration!

34. Jazmin Riordan says:

So excited to see how to be happy January back. My fourth year trying to be an active participant in #htbhj. A lot in my life changed in 2015…had a baby,left the military,moved cross country and bought a house. This year also is going to bring about some interesting life changes (going to esthetician school)- a completely new career field as well as trying to be more active in the religious ministry. This is always a great way to start off the year.

35. Lizzy Higgins says:

I’m so excited for this series, honestly, it gets me through the month of January and has done for the past three years! I always struggle in January because it’s after my birthday, Christmas and New Years where i have had an amazing time with family and friends and it’s sadly all over. I feel as though it sounds sill but i’d honestly say it’s the hardest month to get through because all i have to look forward to after December is working insanely hard for summer exam time, ahh:( this series with all it’s wonderful advice and inspiration keeps my spirit lifted and gives me the positive start to the year i need! I can’t wait to see what will come in this series but i’m sure it’ll be great. Keep doing great things Nikki, love you girl!x

36. Abby Brook says:

I am so happy that January is here cause it means that the gang is back! You have no idea how much you have helped me through this blog as well as your YouTube channel. Without you, I don’t know where I would be right now. Please, keep up what your doing. For me and for everyone else you have helped. I love you so much!

37. Madeline says:

Hey Nikki! I watch your your YouTube videos, and I am so excited for another month of #howtobehappyjanuary! I struggle with really severe depression and anxiety, and it always helps to see others who are going through something of the like remaining optimistic and positive! I guess one thing that helps me in striving for happiness, is learning to remain STRONG! It’s one thing to state that their is sadness and then give up on working towards happy, but what is really important is instead to state that yes, there is sadness and hardships in this world, and then to work through it! One of my favorite mantras I say is “strength is born from hard times.” I look forward to your future posts! Love ya Nikki!

38. Kaitlyn says:

Hi everybody. Nikki I just saw your new video up on your YouTube channel and it really inspired me to come to this blog and express what I have been most anxious about recently. I’m only 14 and understand that what I’m about to say may be weird but I need some advice. There is a guy I have liked for almost a year now, and I’m not sure if he likes me or not, but it has become too stressful for me to continue trying to read the mixed signals he gives me. I keep on telling myself to no longer worry about him 24/7 and just focus on my school work but it is extremely difficult. Each time I see him I just give in and start talking to him. I don’t have a mom to talk to this about, and sometimes I feel like you are in some ways my mom, Nikki. I really need you to help me and tell me what I should do. Thank you so much. I love you so much!

39. Nikita Citino says:

I love how to be happy January I become happy because everyone else that comments seems to radiate onto me I im not sure but I think I have some difficulty with being happy and I always feel alone

40. reema12123 says:

that is very nice from you that you give as a wisdom for 2016 thank you very much

41. Ashley says:

So So excited that #howtobehappyjanuary is back! I started watching last year and it is honestly one of the best decisions i’ve made! Thank you so much for your inspiration& positivity.

42. Jessica C says:

I am so excited to be reading all the posts this month. I loove “how to be happy January”, and I will definitely be following along with all the posts! Also, I am so happy that you will be talking about human trafficking. It is something I am deeply passionate about and think is really horrible and should be stopped. You should watch the documentary “Half The Sky” because it talks about sex slavery a lot in it. Anyways, thank you for doing this, I am excited to see what the future brings with this blog 🙂

43. Bea says:

Hi Nikki! Just heard about “the Gang” from your video (on youtube) about anxiety and I love this magazine! I love the way you are writing about how to be happy ++ and I also looove your quotes! I have written them down in my notebook so I can remember them! 🙂 I cant wait to descover the rest of this magazine!

44. Chloe Smith says:

Okay this is exactly what I needed! Have been going through anxiety for a while. It is nice to have something to look forward to something.

45. Chloe Smith says:

****It is nice to have something to look forward to. lol

46. Chelsea says:

this blog is beautiful!! I’m so proud of how far you have come!
    You have been such an inspiration to me, as a young adult.
    I deal with SAD, due to the lack of sun we get in Canada, during the winter months. #howtobehappyjanuary has really helped calm me, and give me new tools to make me happy.
    Epsom Salts baths have become my therapy! Your healthy recipes have been so simple and delicious, I have been cooking so much more and that makes me feel so good.
    Thanks for being so encouraging & up lifting. I know you deal with anxiety too -so you get it. We can’t always be positive. BUT THATS OKAY! <3
    Cheers,

Chelsea

47. Hilal says:

woooooowwww that sounds good 🙂

48. Valeria says:

This blog is so inspirational, it makes me happy to know that everyone here wants to grow to be a better person and have a better year!!! Btw ily nicki you are such a great youtuber and human being 💜

49. Valeria says:

I really love this blog, keep it going!!

50. Alena says:

Hey Nikki,
    I just wanted to tell you that you are soooo inspiring! I can relate to you so much, because as far as I can tell we are similar in our character and Story (obviously everyone has got his own Story, but you know what I mean…) You’re just one step ahead from me and ever since I found your Channel on YouTube I’m basically breathing your inspiring words (not in a weird way :D). I just wanted to say thank you for your honest words, for sharing your Story and being so open. You don’t know how much it helps me, knowing I am not alone! Thank you so much! God bless you!

51. Abbey says:

Hi everyone, i would just like to say that for most of 2015 i was in a bad mood and didn’t know why! which for me was really weird because i’m usually the happy go lucky girl and never has a problem. but for some reason once 2015 started i was totally run down.so for almost a year i was a complete crap to everyone. But long story short i realized that all i need to do is let go of all the things that bothered me, so i set my 2016 goal was to enjoy life and quit dwelling on the past. And i just wanted to tell you guys that if your in a mood, everything will turn out for the best. Even though that seems hard to believe it’s TRUE, trust me when i tell you this, i’ve had plenty of experience to know that it will all work out. so thanks for reading this and i hope my word of encouragement helped, i know it helped me 🙂

52. Kayla says:

Hey Nikki, I just wanted to put my story out there and I could really use all the prayers I could get. Big surgery coming up and really hoping it helps. Here’s a link to my story http://www.redlegs.myevent.com/3/donate.htm. I’ve thought about doing a blog about it but I stress to much about things so I’d go crazy trying to do it! Congrats on blog being back I love your videos!! Keep up the amazing work 🙏🏼