Are You Tired Of Your Life? This Could Be Why!

After our wedding, we decided to plan a “trip of a lifetime” to a place we had never seen before: Santorini, Greece. When we arrived, we were both awestruck at the beauty that surrounded us. Day after day, we marveled at the sparkling blue water, the archaic cliffs, the endless ocean and the sun that was unblocked by trees or roads, but instead stood alone as the main spectacle. The sun seemed so much more dramatic and special in Greece. Back at home in Minnesota, I spent most of my mornings trying to block the sun out from my eyes on my commute to the office. I saw it every day, yet rarely marveled at it.

Each morning in Greece while staring at the sunrise, we thought to ourselves, ‘Wow how lucky are the people who get to LIVE here and see the precious sunrises and sunsets every day?!’ We started fantasizing about ways we could just drop all of our corporate responsibilities and move to the beautiful island of Santorini. One night, we asked the one of the locals who worked at our hotel what it was like to live in the most beautiful place on Earth. He replied shortly, “Eh, it’s okay. My dream is to move to the United States someday.” It then struck me that he probably didn’t look at the sunrises and expansive views in Greece in the same way that I did. And I didn’t look at my life back home in the United States in the same way that he did, either. Amid the normalcy of everyday life, sometimes it’s easy to forget to marvel at our own view

When you don’t expect something to be beautiful, you miss how beautiful it is and always has been. Look at your loved ones, kids, jobs, house, as if it was the first time you saw them. Do you remember the first time you saw them? You were awestruck.

Take a deep breath and see your world with fresh eyes, once every day. Close your eyes and reopen them. Your life consists of precious and unique sunrises and sunsets. What seems ordinary to you, is extraordinary to the next person. Remember how far you’ve come and how much of a miracle you are. What in your life have you marveled at lately? The secret is this: The place you will find happiness is the place you choose to marvel at most often. When you expect to see beauty in your life, you will begin to see beauty, no matter what sunrise you have.

Emily Olson

Wife, Mom, Christ Follower. I am passionate about making YouTube videos and writing. "You can edit out all of the imperfect things, but you don't have to."

1. Rachel says:

This is absolutely undeniably true! I am at my holiday home in Marysville(Victoria, Australia) and we have the most amazing view here. Sometimes I do forget how spectacular it is, and at home in Melbourne I also forget the amazing sights there are. I them it’s a great idea you had to I guess try to become a bit of a tourist in your own town. Thank you for these words Emily!!

2. Bea says:

This was a beautiful post, like all the others!! I love your way to describe things, and the way you look at the world and your life! I loooved your tips about “close your eyes, and then reopen them again. Your life consists of precious and unique sunrises and sunsets.” That was beautiful! I have these days when I am sad (many times I dont know why), and then Im just thinking about others amazing lifes and other places where I wanna be! That is something I have to stop doing, ´cause m life is beautiful in my way! I have a home, a family, friends and food on the table everyday and I am the one who are sad?! So I will definitely take a minute and close my eyes, and then reopen them again, and see the beauty in my life!!

• Emily Olson says:

This comment really made me happy. I’m so glad you reached out. Thank you for such wonderful words & I’m SO glad that you connected with it. It’s so easy to lose sight of all the things we have because we’re striving for more – which is good, but also can make us feel worse than we need to feel! I have many sad days as well — we’re all human. 🙂 Thank you for commenting! It means a lot to me.

3. Melissa Campbell says:

Wow, what an inspirational article. It really made me stop and thing. These are the types of articles that make us change our thinking to help improve our lives.

4. Bea says:

I’m glad I made you smile<3 have a wonderful day!:-)

5. Ashley says:

Hi Emily, I know this has nothing to do with your topic but I am struggling to get myself out the door for school every morning. There are days when I am ready to take on the day and days that are not. The past two years I have been struggling with this. I barely have anyone to talk about it, that would help me. The way I look and feel keeps me from wanting to even go anywhere. I am 17 years old and I don’t wanna feel this way at all. Sorry this was so off topic.

• Emily Olson says:

That’s okay. It sounds like you could totally benefit from opening up about it! Honestly, it always really helps me to reach out to people when I’m having a hard time. I’m really proud of you for reaching out! That is such an awesome step. I want you to know that you’re not alone, even though it feels like you are. MANY people go through feelings like this. There are many people who can help. Have you talked to your parents?

6. Memoona says:

Wow i m impressed how beautifully u describe life. Everyone”s life is beautiful , it our choice how we see it. Thank u so sharing this beautiful way of living 🙂