Getting Honest About Happiness

When I graduated from high school, it seemed like I was determined to look for my happiness in all the wrong places. I spent too many years doing what I thought I was supposed to do, going where was cool, hanging with people that were supposed to make my life better. Then I realized I was living a life built by the standards and opinions of others. I wasn’t those people. I was me and it was time to return to the person I was born to be. A few years ago, I dusted off my old notebooks, bought a new pack of pens and haven’t looked back.

Generations have been taught that you grow up, go to school, go to work, retire, and then travel the world, or do whatever it is you’ve always dreamed of. You’ve put in your time, made your contribution to society, created a name for yourself. You’ve given most of your life to raising children. You’ve given most of your time to your bosses. In grade school they used to encourage us to fantasize about our dreams and to create an image  of our perfect life as adults. Then years later, somehow, it gets tugged away from you and crushed under the fists of adulthood. When have you stopped to imagine that perfect life as an adult? When was the last time you genuinely asked yourself about the things that make you happy? Maybe you don’t want to be an astronaut anymore, but do you know what you want?

It’s a collective trend to think that happiness is some far off coveted land where perfection resides. We can find it if we work an hour longer, stick it out at a stupid job another year, get into a relationship with that certain person. The “if only” seems to construct our ladder towards happiness. It becomes an object we find from outside source. Perhaps that is the problem. Happiness is birthed within you, in that part of your heart that no one else sees. Happiness is the little voice that never lies, never judges, and never asks us to be anything but who we are, and who you are is perfect. Now, today, always. Everyday brings an opportunity to recognize the abundance and wealth swirling and building a long life for itself within you.

You see, you can hope for happiness with the “if only” of the future, or you can pine for it with the “should have” of the past, but you can only have it in the moment of now.  You can feel it in the knowing that you are exactly where you are meant to be at this moment. You can grow it in your faith that happiness stretches far beyond your imagination and eternally into the future. It is not something to attain, but to experience.

You have a choice when you wake up every morning. Choose gratefulness. Choose not to be content, but to know that what is now is also building what will be. Take the foundations of today and mould them into the structure of your own happiness. Even your darkness is teaching you a lesson, preparing you for something far bigger and more beautiful. Look for gratitude and beauty in every detail of your life. Check in with yourself often, grow confidence that your actions support your purpose. Know you who are, and love it. You are the only you, after all, and that is something to be unbelievably happy about.

Rebecca Wright

Bec Dixon is a Writers Digest award winner. Her novel, Dream Wakers, is set to publish early 2016.

1. Marissa says:

This is amazing. Stopping right now to truly enjoy the gifts of each day.

2. Rachel says:

This is truly so inspirational. I think that is so important to stop every once and a while and think about what goals we have in life and if they will really bring us happiness, or are they just to reach the standards that society sets up for us. Good job Bec I love this!

• Bec Dixon says:

Rachel, this is so true. The ability to understand your unique sovereignty will radiate from your bones and touch other people simply on an instinctual level. Imagine, you could change the world simply by making yourself! So easy it seems wrong, but I’ll tell you, it is oh so right. Make today great, girl!

3. Trena says:

Amazing! Its like you read my mind! I finally decided to chose happy this year and not content! Although it hasn’t been an easy road and it still might get bumpy, I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time!

• Bec Dixon says:

Yes!!!! So excited for you! We got your back when things get tough. Thats what this life is all about; a collective uplifting. And just remember that the very BEST things in life are sometimes just on the other side of the night. I hope you share your adventures with us!

4. Asmaa says:

I totally agree! I would like to add another perspective to the matter:
    In order to be happy, we tend to consider the big picture in our lives and aim to realize our biggest dreams and fantasies (work, money, children…) which is good! However, since such things often take long to happen, we can not afford to sit around and wait years in order to have that feeling. What if it does not happen? Or worse, what if it does but it still isn’t enough to make us happy! I think that it is wiser to try and find happiness in smaller and more attainable goals. That way, you make the journey to those dreams that much more exciting!

• Yohanna says:

I totally agree with you! I think that you just have to find happiness in what you do, and not sit and wait for your dream come true… Because as you mentioned, you have to find happiness in what you do, even though it only is sitting and just read a book.

• Bec Dixon says:

Asmaa, I LOVE this expansive idea! I could not have said it better. Thank you for this, it made my heart smile. You are a beautiful, beautiful soul. It is so important to reward all aspects of your journey.

5. Amelia says:

Such a beautiful and honest article! Loved it! Really inspirational.

6. Yohanna says:

I love this post! This was very inspiring for me and my life. I’m always telling myself: every morning you have a chance to change your life and do things you want/love to do. Even though in dark days, you’ll find out who you are and you’ll bloom into a beautiful person. You just have to make the right choices, and not think about what other people want you to do. I think this is very important when you are a teen, because every teen are searching for who they are, you know… So every time I feel that I’m doing things that actually doesn’t make me happy, I’m thinking about that….
    I hope you read this comment, and if you did; I hope you understood me! 🙂 Love the gang!!!

• Bec Dixon says:

This is so beautiful and well thought out. I love what you said about darkness being a discovery of self. This is so true. “Dark days” are excellent chances to reevaluate what is taking you out of your center (which is always love in any given form). I like to imagine myself as a mother and my feeling as an infant. I imagine a mother holding an infant. By treating your “dark” aspects with care and healing you can really see them in a new way. Hugs to you!